Sunday, October 19, 2014

Running Someone Else's Race?

Today is the Duke City Marathon.  It's the largest running event in the State of New Mexico.  Several thousand people come out to participate in a variety of running events from a 5k walk to the full Marathon. 

Last year, I was training for the 20K walk. I had intended to participate, but financially had to forgo registration when the time came around. I was disappointed, but exercise is rarely in vein.

Then, a few days before the event, my co-host, who had been planning on participating in the 20K, pulled a muscle and was unable to attend.  He offered me his bib and registration which I gladly accepted.  Because organizers of the event did not allow for registration transfer, my timing chip referred to a 59 year old man.

Runners are tough.  They train hard and are dedicated and passionate.  But don't you think that long distance walkers are softies.  This group of hard core pavement pounders blew me away.  To give you a little idea about how fast these guys (and gals) are trucking, the winner came in at 2:06, making her pace just over a 10 minute mile!

The day of the race came quickly, and I gave it my all.  There was an older gentleman in very short red shorts that I found myself chasing almost the entire way.  At the half-way mark, I was running short on steam, but willed myself to keep trucking, trying not to loose my pace. 

Finally, the last mile marker was in sight.  That alone gave me renewed energy. That guy in the red shorts was starting to slow and I saw my chance. I kicked it into high gear and pulled ahead.

When I crossed the finish line a few minutes later, I was exhausted, but so very happy to have finished the race.  But, the MC didn't announce my name, undoubtedly because he was quite confused when my bib number correlated with a man named Dan.

A few hour later, when the results were posted, I looked down the list to see how I had done.  Much to my surprise, I had come in almost 10 minutes faster than I had anticipated.  Even better than that, I had won the Men's Masters Division!  Take that, guy in the red shorts!

When I called and excitedly shared the news with Dan, we had a good laugh about it.  Being honorable, he called the officials and let them know that it hasn't been him, racing under that bib number.  They thanked him for his honesty, and the record was quickly changed.  Any trace that I had ever been part of that event was completely erased.

This year, back in early fall, we bought a Marathon registration for a friend's birthday gift.  Just a few days ago, she notified me that she wouldn't be able to participate.  Not wanting the registration to go to waste, I investigated what my options were.  Rules stated that you could switch events, but you could not transfer registration to anyone else.  So yesterday, I went to the packet pick up booth and moved the full Marathon down to a half.  Though I haven't been training, I'm pretty good at long distances and figured I can finish a walking half-marathon, knowing that my times won't be as good.

Taking a shot in the dark, I ask the officials if there was any chance of transferring the registration into my name.  To my surprise and delight, they agreed (I hope this doesn't get them in trouble). 
Now, the computer chip in bib number 405 will reflect me!

Though I had done well, pushed hard and "won" the first race, it wasn't my own.  I can never win someone else's race.  Today, though not well prepared, I will give it my all.  I don't expect to be on the winner's board, but I will have the added satisfaction knowing that it was under my name. 

If I do this event a third time, I want to do it right from start to finish.  I want to train, I want to properly register, and I want to come across the finish line having given my very best.  As for today, wish me luck (and pray for no sprains). 

"Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it." 1 Corinthians 9:24


No comments:

Post a Comment