Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Writing a Will at 35

My husband and I are getting ready to travel to Israel.  We've been invited to participate in a race in order to raise funds and awareness for a crisis pregnancy center in Jerusalem.  This trip is a blessing through and through.  I have no expectations or fears that we will be in any kind of danger.

However, with both of us leaving the country, I've been advised to write a Will.  I'm only 35!  The chances of harm befalling both me and my husband are very slim, but I do have to think about my kids in the event of the "what if?". 

Contemplating who would care for my children for the next 10 years has been agonizing.  Thank goodness we have four solid possibilities of immediate family members who could step in in the event of an emergency. 

While I may have complained about many aspects of parenting in the past (and will likely struggle through issues in the future) I am so glad that I've been selected to be the mother of my two beautiful girls!

I know the looks, the smarty-pants remarks, the worries, fears and joys that make them who they are.  I know how often their fingernails need to be cut, the songs they sing along to and the friends they keep.  I am their Mama.

When we go out for our occasional $1 Boba Tea Tuesdays, I am reminded that this is our special time.  When my 9 year old wakes me up at night because she is afraid, I want to be there.  When my eldest struggles through her reading, I want to hear it.

Parenting is hard.  It's even harder if you are trying to do it in order to train future Godly adults.  After today's doctor's appointment and strep culture, I will be thankful for my job.  When I take pictures of molding potatoes for a 4th grade science project, I will hold my breath but appreciate the chance to be an active part.  I choose to celebrate motherhood in the good times and bad.

Thank you God for today and for every day you allow me to be a Mother!

1 comment:

  1. Very sweet observations on parenthood, Birga. Thank you for sharing not only your thoughts, but your life. God is close to you, dear one, and teaches us all so powerfully through the seemingly mundane, everyday experiences....particularly with our children (or, in my case, grandchildren!)

    Keep walking in God's Rich blessings, sweet niece! I love you.

    Uncle Rick

    ReplyDelete