Thursday, December 19, 2013

Afraid of Food


Author’s note:  This may have a sarcastic tone, but I really do have big questions about the foods we are putting into our bodies and how to strike a balance that works for our family.

 
photo from:guardianlv.com


I have started to become afraid of food.  Granted, I’ve been sick and sleep deprived for several days.  So this topic may just not bother me as much as when I am well and functioning as “normal”.

The food issue really did start a few years back at my house.  I will blame it on Netflix.  Many of you who have watched the variety of food related documentaries know exactly what I’m talking about.  For a season, we really tried to cut out meat, I started weaning out dairy, and the list of “no-no” foods seemed to be growing by leaps and bounds. Eventually I gave up on most of those changes.

Then I started hearing about GMO (genetically modified organism) food and just how many of our dietary staples that they have invaded.  Red dye, I hear, causes behavioral disorders in kids and Oreos are now scientifically as addictive as crack.

Being sick and couch ridden, I was channel surfing and came across a Dr. Oz episode that talked about nitrates and how they are linked to pancreatic cancer.  And surely you’ve heard about the pesticides covering our fruits and vegetables and the “10 Ten List” of those produce items that we must buy organic.

And don’t get me started on sugar.  I love it, but it’s evil.  Good luck eliminating that from your diet! Diet/sugar-free drinks and products—they are out too.  But I’m sticking with the studies that promote coffee drinking.  You’ve got to allow me at least one pleasure. 

I’m not a big fan of tofu.  I can handle it in small doses, and my kids sure don’t like it.  It doesn’t take long for me to get sick of beans.  Green leafy veggies are great, but I can’t afford to buy most of those organic, so am I eating, or fighting cancer?

Am I the only one who is weary of how broken and damaged our food system has become?  I would love some honest input into how your family handles food, and what it costs you (monetarily or emotionally).

Tonight for dinner I’m ready for some comfort food (in moderation of course).  I’m making a ham (nitrates), low-calorie scalloped potatoes (dairy and some other toxins I’m sure) and green beans (wait, are those safe?).  Tonight we celebrate my sister’s anniversary and I’m pretty sure my mom will bring a cake.  I’m going to eat it!

So, on the cusp of Christmas food madness, I want to know: Are you afraid of food?

6 comments:

  1. Very thought provoking, Birga. You should talk to your cousin, Jillian, the family vegetarian, about her views.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Based on some of her FB posts, I figured she had a strong opinion about food(s).

      Delete
  2. Not afraid of food. I spend zero minutes a day wallowing in anxiety about poisoning my body. You can ALWAYS make changes to increase the 'healthiness' of your lifestyle, but at some point you cross the line into the world of stress and obsession and your friends no longer want to meet you for lunch or have you over for dinner (I'm guilty of not wanting to cook for people who I deem overly obsessed with dietary restrictions). I choose to relax enjoy putting my mental energy towards things I find more important than reducing my cancer risk by another 0.5%. By getting lots of exercise and avoiding fast or junk food within reason (I have oreos in my drop bag at every race), I figure I'm already well ahead of most Americans when it comes to lifespan and risk of cancer/heart disease/diabetes, etc. I only buy organic when the price is the same as non. Just not worth it to me to obsess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing! You run circles around me! :)

      Delete
  3. Birga, I just wanted to add a perspective that I hope is more balanced than what we are given from the media with regard to our food.
    1. The more that humans manipulate God's design the worst things will become. I strive to limit my family's reliance on commercial foods. When we do buy our food we try to get the least processed as possible.
    2. God commanded His people to eat meat - after the flood, at Sinai, on the tanner's roof, etc. It was impossible for Israel to worship God without eating meat. In Romans only the weak of faith do not eat meat. However, due to #1, I do raise and butcher my own meat (rabbits, chickens, llamas, beef, yaks); hunt for it (bison, deer, elk); or trade with those who do the same.
    3. Remember the land flowing with MILK and Honey was a blessing. My family enjoys raw milk (unpasteurized, not homogenized). In our internet age finding a cow or goat "share" is not that difficult.
    4. Fresh ground wheat is a natural detoxifier. Wheat berries can be purchased locally or direct from farmers. Our bread, tortillas, pancakes, cookies, rolls, etc. are all made from flour we ground ourselves. No preservatives and no bleach.
    5.Key nutrients are largely missing from our diet. So my family uses several supplements including vitamins, enzymes, etc.
    6. Sugar is a huge problem. Can't avoid it enough. Yet there are currently five packages of Oreos in my pantry (amongst other "evils"). Ice cream is a household necessity here.
    7. We don't consider our cabinets full unless there is ample supplies of iodine, garlic, apple cider vinegar, hydrogen peroxide, DMSO, baking soda, and salt.
    8. We do not starve our brains by trying to lower our cholesterol. However, keeping triglycerides down is a worthwhile battle.
    9. Moderation is good. We are not food Nazis. I love eating at friends and am never finicky about what they serve. We also go out to eat on occasions without any pangs of guilt. I love the church pot lucks!
    10. By far my greatest concern for my family is their spiritual diet. There are just as many (likely more) toxins out there masquerading as "truth" doing damage to the spiritual vitality of God's people. This trumps any concern I may have with regard to my physical sustenance.

    ReplyDelete