Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Craming It All In

T minus 40 minutes before I pick the girls up from school.  This week has been unusually busy and I've tried to make good use of my time.  My head is swimming a bit between banquet planning for work, trying to cram in Spanish lessons when I can, and staying on top of other projects (writing included).

Last week, we meet with a new small group and part of the discussion revolved around being sensitive to the prompting of the Holy Spirit.  There have been a number of times when a thought comes to mind, and I've dismissed it as my personal craziness.  So today, having a fresh reminder to listen more closely, I fought the urge to ignore that still small voice as I drove home from work. 

Glancing up a side street, I saw that a garbage can had been knocked over, and the trash was in the road. "Go pick it up" was echoing in my ears.  I continued to drive on, but within a few blocks, my heart was burdened and I did a U-turn.  It took me a few minutes to figure out which street it had been.  Once I arrived, I found the home owner, with broom in hand, sweeping up the mess.  Even then, I thought "It's taken care of, no need to stop."  But, again, a burning heart compelled me to get out of the car.  I spent a few minutes helping the man to collect the garbage out of the road and put it back into the trash can.

"It's my own fault," he said.  "I tried to cram too much in there.  Then, when the truck picks it up, it only dumps partway and the rest flings out."  I shared my frustration with the mess that's sometimes left behind, wished him a good day, and finished my journey home.

I'm not really sure what a simple act of obedience to a Holy Spirit prompting will bring, but I'm glad I listened.  If nothing else, it gave me a good visual reminder about what happens when you try to cram too much in.

There are many things that I try to accomplish in the course of a week.  Sometimes I'm able to concentrate and put more effort and attention in than others.  I suppose, that on those weeks when too many things demand my attention, I may experience some of the overload scattered on the road.

Maybe then someone will see my mess, and help me sweep it up!

"Two are better than one, because they have a good reward for their labor.  For if they fall, one will lift up his companion.  But woe to him who is alone when he falls, for he has no one to help him up."  Ecclesiastes 4:9-10

No comments:

Post a Comment