Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Being Unfriended

It came to my attention yesterday that a longtime friend of mine was no longer a "friend" on Facebook.  Assuming the best, she may have canceled her original account and recreated a new one.  However, I'm thinking that the more realistic explanation is that she doesn't want to hear any of my "Christianese" by way of FB postings. 

It made me really sad, because she and I have so many years of memories together.  We used to be very close and an important part of each other's lives.  It is true that we hold two very different world views, but does that mean we can't be friends?

I know that there are some who say the biblical passage about not being "unequally yoked" would apply to friendships as well.  However, I would argue, how are we to ever make a personal impact on individuals if we can't form the bonds of friendship with them?

I have tried so very hard to not be a stereotypical TV Christian who judges everyone and has a "holier than thou" attitude.  I know I mess up, and at times my beliefs my cause a rift between myself and someone who has very strong contradictory opinions. But all in all, I hope that my "branding" is one of love and compassion.

Just today, I was expressing to a teenage boy that my desire is to speak the truth in love.  I do believe there is an absolute truth.  I do believe that there is a heaven and a hell.  I do believe that Jesus is the one and only way.  I guess that in and of itself is offensive enough to exclude me from the party.  Loving or not, the message is too strong for some to tolerate.

It hurts to be rejected.  But I guess Jesus knows exactly how that feels.

No comments:

Post a Comment