Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Typecast as Jesus

Because of my job as a radio host, I'm often sent books and movies that the publishers/producers are hoping to have me talk about.  Recently, I received a copy of the movie "The Encounter".  Without giving too much of the plot away, it features a cast of characters who have a modern day encounter with Jesus.

The role of Jesus is played by Bruce Marchiano, who has played this part many times before.  I got to thinking about what it might be like to be typecast in that role.  Often times actors are cast in roles because they are strongly identified with a particular character.  The audience comes to expect them to speak and act in familiar ways.  While it may be comfortable for the viewers, it probably becomes a bit monotonous (and/or intimidating) for the actor.

But what would it be like to be known as the guy who plays the Son of God?  On one hand, it could be viewed as a career killer.  Jim Caviezel, known for playing Jesus in "Passion of the Christ", has repeatedly told audiences that he was shunned by Hollywood after playing the part.  But, on the other hand, it undoubtedly opens up doors for relationships and conversations that could be life changing.  I can imagine it would also put you under the spotlight, as the world watches to see if you bear any likeness to the character you portray.

Most of us will never be called to play the part of Jesus, but we each have the opportunity to "act" like Him as we live out our lives.  I couldn't think of a better way to express how badly my heart wants to walk out my faith (though my will often wars against it) than to close with the lyrics from the Warren Barfield song "Mistaken":

I shouldn’t have to tell you who I am
                                    
Cause who I am should be speakin’ for itself
                         
Cause if I am who I, I wanna be
                             
Then who you see won’t even be me
                             
Oh well the more and more I disappear
                            
The more and more He becomes clear
 
Chorus:
                         
Till everyone I talk to hears His voice.
                                               
And everything I touch feels the warmth of His hand.
                               
Till everyone I meet sees Jesus in me
                         
This is all I want to be, I want to be, 
                                    
Mistaken for Jesus, Oh I want to be, mistaken

No comments:

Post a Comment