Monday, October 3, 2011

The Little Things I'm Thankful For

In reading through my friend's blogs/updates, I often feel a bit ashamed that I ever waste my breath on complaints.  They are dealing with cancer and seizures.  They are sometimes in parts of this world that are being ravaged by war.  They have lost jobs, loved ones and hope.  It's a reminder that I need some perspective.  Any problems that happen in this family seem piddly in comparison. 

I thought today that I'd take a few moment to reflect on the positives that often go overlooked.  Not to understate my gratitude for the big things, like marriage, children, health and home--but this small blip in cyberspace is dedicated to the little things that make like enjoyable.

I'm thankful for:
Couches.  Can you image not having a soft area to collapse into?
Toothbrushes. Self explanatory
Sunshine.  I often don't think about it until it's gone, but I couldn't hack it in Seattle.
Feta cheese.  It stinks and has a bite, but boy does it taste good.
Costco.  Sample days are pure genius.
Superheros.  I never want to forget how to dream bigger than myself.
Backpacks.  Sometimes I just don't want to carry a purse.
Music.  Pick an emotion, and I'll find you a song to cater to it.
Indoor plumbing.  1750 probably looked and smelled much different.
Lego people.  They just make me smile.
Fences.  I like my neighbors, but boundaries are a good thing.
Microwaves.  Cook, reheat, defrost, timers--what doesn't it do?
Magnets.  You'd be amazed at just how many of your daily items use them.
Spellcheck.  It saves me from sounding (reading) like an idiot.
Chai tea.  So soothing.
Windows.  Literal or metaphorical--take your pick.
Cars.  Another item that we don't think about until it's out of gas or broken.  Can you imagine life without it?

Feel free to add to the list.  It does your heart good when you take the time to look around and evaluate all that you take for granted and just how many blessings you really can count.

No comments:

Post a Comment