Friday, August 8, 2014

Who I Am

It is painful to confess this, but the honest truth is that I struggle with my pride on a regular basis.  My flesh wants to be acknowledged and patted on the back.  It wants to be honored for working hard.  It wants to be noticed.

If you do a quick Bible verse search on “pride”, it’s very obvious that it isn’t a characteristic that God wants in me.  So, my spirit is always in pride battle mode. 
Today on the radio program, we had Senatorial candidate Allen Weh come in.  He asked me if I “do the weather”.  I can’t relay the emotional response that a question of that nature generates in me.  I wanted to shout “I’ve been here for almost 8 years!  I’m the co-host!”  In retrospect, I think what I really wanted to shout was “I’m important too!  Value me!”

Knowing who I am in Christ and being firmly and confidently rooted in that identity is such a juxtaposition to worldly pride.  It’s a struggle for me.  The world expects us to celebrate our titles and accomplishments.  It presumes that our identity comes from our jobs, our affiliations, or even our sexuality. 

Today, I write to remind myself, and anyone else in need of a spiritual “pep-talk” who we really are.

We are God’s workmanship: “For we are God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.” Ephesians 2:10 
Think of yourself as a fine work of art that has been meticulously crafted by the Master Designer.
We are a new creation: “Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!” 2 Corinthians 5:17 
You may view yourself through the lens of your mistakes.  You may have shame from the past, but that record has been expunged!

We are loved, forgiven, sanctified, accepted, favored, and reconciled to God.  The list goes on and on.  Instead of thinking of yourself as a "just"--"just a mom", "just a student" or "just a delivery driver", begin to imagine your spiritual business cards with these new titles instead.

The beauty of God’s Truth is that who I am in Him, is so much more than I could ever be through human accomplishment.  Now, the real challenge lies in valuing our God given titles above those found in the world.  I won't pretend that a blog and a speech will instantly remedy this thinking.  However, acknowledging the struggle and turning it over to the Lord in prayer will begin to put us on the right side of the battle.
Lord, help me see my true value, and abandon self-promotion through worldly endeavors. Set me free from the bondage of pride and allow me to rest in the assurance that I have eternal value in Your eyes.  Let this truth sink deeply into my mind and spirit and let me rest in You.  Help me throw off everything that so easily entangles, so I can run with perseverance the race marked out for me. Let my eyes be fixed on Jesus, the author and perfecter of my faith. Amen

 

1 comment:

  1. Bless you for baring your soul, Birga. I would bet that this is something many of us deal with. You are not alone. May we walk in Christ and keep our eyes focused on the prize.

    ReplyDelete