Tuesday, October 7, 2014

One Day Shy of a Full Moon

Today I was reminded of a devotional I wrote many "moons" ago.  Interestingly, today is also the day before the full moon.  I hope this encourages your heart.

Early this morning on my way to work, I was captivated by the big yellow moon that seemed to hang slightly askew over the city.  I contemplated why, as beautiful as the moon was, it just didn’t look “quite right.”  My mind slowly filtered through some files, until I realized that tomorrow is the full moon.  I don’t typically track moon phases, but my wall calendar happens to list them, and I had noticed that the moon would be full on the date of my daughter’s field trip.  So that made today one day shy of a full moon.

I instantly felt that we had something in common, the moon and I.  I have often shared that one of my favorite song lyrics is from Salvador’s “Shine”: “Lord let me shine, shine like the moon.  A reflection of You! All that I do.”  I so badly want to be a reflection of the glory of the Son, but today I felt a little less than full. 

Worries and stresses from the night before still hung like a fog in my mind.  Peace was slowly beginning to re-enter the picture after praying and trusting the Lord for His perfect outcome.  But, just as the moon has its phases, so do I.  I would love it if I would constantly (consistently) reflect the fullness of His truth.  Sadly, I wax and wane quite often.

Now, just after breakfast, I feel full.  Granted, I just ate, but I’m ready to grasp hold of the promises of the Lord:  So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live your lives in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness . . .  and in Christ you have been brought to fullness.” Colossians 2:6-10

Though nature may have to wait a few more hours for the moon to find its fullness, I choose to begin now.  And God willing, in the coming days as I feel my fullness start to slip away, I will turn back to His word and remember another truth:And God is able to bless you abundantly, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work.” 2 Corinthians 9:8


                                                                                                                                          

No comments:

Post a Comment