Monday, March 30, 2015

Celebrating the little things (unless those little things are roaches)

In just a few hours, I'll find myself at work, and I'm sure several people will ask "How was your weekend?" Instead of just "good" or "fine", I though I'd take a moment to remember what actually transpired this weekend.

Saturday morning I asked my husband if he wanted to go garage sailing with me.  He did, and we set off just before 8am.  After a half-dozen busts, we came to a home selling a lot of high end audio equipment and hit a big "score", finding quality tower speakers for a fraction of retail cost.

Then, we headed home to clean up, as I had a date with my younger daughter to attend New Mexico Fashion Week.  We had bought tickets to this event for her birthday.  She loves fashion, and wants to find her niche within the industry one day, so I thought this would be a great exposure for her.

I must interject a story about my view of the fashion industry at this point.  I don't much care for it--and I often don't agree with it.  After all, it seems to me that a few high powered individuals gave permission for the 80s to throw up on the 2010s and make everything that was wrong about my middle and high school years popular with my children!

But, all joking aside, it does seem a strange industry for anyone of faith to be involved in--until I got an "ah ha" moment when hearing John Stonestreet speak a few years ago.  He relayed a conversation that he had with two college age women who wanted to pursue careers in the fashion world.  When he asked them why Christian women should be part of that industry, they answered: "Because the fashion industry tells women what beauty is." To have women (or men) of faith who can interject the truth of where real beauty lies, is a gift this world needs.

So, on to the fashion show we went.  My daughter was so happy, and I was glad I made the effort to spend time doing something out of my comfort zone, for her sake.  We saw some remarkable creations and got to experience our first runway (which was neat with a dose of strange).   



 
 

Sunday was our weekly lunch with my husband's family, which we love.  A meal, cooked by my mother-in-law, and a chance to sit together and talk and experience life together is indeed a precious opportunity.

The afternoon hours were filled with packing bags and getting necessities for a short youth trip that our girls are taking with church.  Off they went, and then we go the bonus gift of a date night!

Now, Monday morning is here, and I woke early which allowed me some time to write.  The weather has turned warmer, and while I'm 99% thankful for that, with it come the return of the bugs--and notable, the cockroaches!  While blogging this morning, I had to get up and kill 5.  But, that in turn makes me thankful for bug spray and a husband who will take care of the bug problem.

May the Lord bless your week, my friends.  I pray that as you reflect over this last weekend, you too will find things to be thankful for.  And, when you get asked the inevitable question of "how was your weekend?", the answer might be a heartfelt: "Blessed!"

No comments:

Post a Comment