Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Not Writing

Have you ever started a project with zeal, even with Divine inspiration behind it, only to find that months (even years) later it has come to nothing?

That is the sad reality of my writing (or my not writing).  Years ago, as I was walking through some very difficult times raising small children, I felt that the experiences and life lessons that had been given to me might provide help to others as I shared them in a book.  After all, writing was in my blood--my grandmother was a poet, my father a master thesis writer and playwright, and I had been writing tidbits for as long as I could remember.  Then, a few months ago, I got "the call."  One of those phone calls that I thought the Lord had put in my path to reignite the fire to get a book done. 

For the first two weeks (or so), I was charged up and everything seemed to be falling into place.  I was finding good time almost every day to get writing done.  Sources of inspiration seemed to be all around me.  A writing conference was lined up, and I was looking forward to meeting a key editor that could get me where I needed to be.

Then, life happened.  My grandfather's health deteriorated and he died a few weeks later.  The kids started summer break, and I never had any time alone.  My cousin died very unexpectedly and I needed to travel to Ohio.  Extra hours were needed at work.  My enthusiasm fizzled out.

So now what?  I don't really know.  The writer's conference is still out there, but my "in" seems to have disappeared.  It's still summer break and this is the first time that I've gotten anything accomplished in quite a while.  The lack of vision, coupled with discouragement, seems to have gotten the upper hand.  But I know that defeat is not the answer.

Just this morning I was reading a daily devotional from Oswald Chambers.  It said: "God gives us a vision, and then He takes us down to the valley to batter us into the shape of that vision. It is in the valley that so many of us give up and faint. Every God-given vision will become real if we will only have patience."  He goes on to say, "The vision that God gives is not some unattainable castle in the sky, but a vision of what God wants you to be down here. Allow the Potter to put you on His wheel and whirl you around as He desires. Then as surely as God is God, and you are you, you will turn out as an exact likeness of the vision. But don’t lose heart in the process. If you have ever had a vision from God, you may try as you will to be satisfied on a lower level, but God will never allow it."

So correct me if I'm wrong, but here's what I can expect: vision, battering, possible fainting, patience (hopefully), whirling, God's end work.

Oh Lord, help me have your vision for my life!  Let me not grow weary of being battered in the valleys of life.  Give me courage and patience.  Hold my head up through the dizziness and form me into your completed work.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment