Sunday, July 31, 2011

The joy of stillness

It's Sunday morning and my children spent the night at a friend's house.  I have the rare opportunity to sit in my bay window, enjoy the breeze and listen to the stillness around me.  With my husband sound asleep, I've had over an hour to read, pray, and relish the silence. 

Normally, I'm not very good at sitting still.  I'm quick to get restless and long to have my "to do" list full and efficient.  However, I recognize this morning, that these moments of peace are a gift, and I'm going to enjoy it.

These next few weeks will be very full.  I've been asked to be present for the birth of a dear friend's baby.  That should be happening any day now.  And with summer coming to a close, it's time to start sorting clothes, buying school supplies, and the like.

But this morning, I have no immediate responsibilities.  Sure, I could start a load of laundry, or go clean the kitchen, but the busyness can wait.  As the coolness of the air brushes over my face, my heart is happy to just soak it all in.

Rather than continue to type out all the revelations that a moment like this could provide, I'm going to turn off my computer, shut my eyes and be still in the midst of the morning.  May your day be a blessed one, and may you also find time to just be still.

No comments:

Post a Comment