Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Second Hand Clothing

My mother-in-law is the queen of garage sales.  She gets out on a weekly basis and scours the city for treasures that others are ready to discard.  She takes pride in showing a Thomas Kinkade mantle piece that she got for a dollar, or the $30 cookbook that she snagged for fifty cents.

One of her biggest gifts to our family has been a never ending supply of second hand clothing. Having grown up with my fair share of neighborhood hand-me-downs, I've never thought twice about wearing someone else's former belongings.  She produces bags of clothing, especially for my girls, that have undoubtedly saved thousands of dollars from our budget.

Still in elementary school, my girls don't yet realize the negative connotation that our culture puts on the word "used".  I pray that they never have the experience of having a child look down on them for their appearance.  But, chances are, it will happen.  My goal is to help them be self assured and confident in who they are, not in how they look.

Now, I do want my girls to learn how to take care of themselves.  I want them to look nice, even stylish if we can swing it.  But the fact that a shirt cost a quarter in someone's driveway, rather than twenty or thirty bucks at the mall, shouldn't cause a bit of shame.

What is it that makes an individual stand with shoulders back and head held high?  Sure, money can give the appearance of self-assuredness, but catch them in the "raw", the wealthy are just human beings, full of flaws and problems (like everyone else) but covered with a designer label.

If I were to get a million dollars in the mail today, would I still wear garage sale clothes?  Probably.  I'd like the freedom to go and buy whatever was needed without budgetary concern, but I wouldn't want to give up the healthy pride I experience by knowing what a great deal I scored with the shirt I'm wearing.

I want to teach my girls good stewardship and how to be of exemplary character.  They are fearfully and wonderfully made, and no dollar amount will either add to, or diminish that fact.  I greatly desire for them to walk through life with confidence, knowing who they are in Christ.  The clothes may have been purchased at a discount, but their security comes from Him paying full price!

No comments:

Post a Comment