Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Old vs. New

I'm finding that I'm at an interesting crossroads, and am not quite sure how to choose a path (or can I force the paths to merge?).  On the home front, I'm trying my best to unplug.  I want less computer, less television, and fewer phone calls.  I realize that the last few years have seen many wasted hours that could have been better invested into my family.

But, in the working world, technology is a necessity, and staying on top of the changes is a must.  Even providing the most basic type of modern, professional exposure requires Facebook, Twitter, blogging, email, events calendars and websites. 

Just today, I was on a quest to find out the most cost effective way to do a radio remote.  Here is one suggested string: mic to notebook to internet to Skype to station computer to board and then on-air.  For a few hundred bucks, you could find me anywhere in the world broadcasting right back to my home base.  There is a lot to learn!

With smart phones taking over the world, and with new "apps" being added daily,  it is very possible that I might soon be able to plug a microphone right into my iphone and on into the studio.  One problem with that--I don't have a smart phone (of any kind).

So how much do I invest into technology?  Will AM radio be around 10 years from now, or will all broadcasts be heard through your phone?  Did you know that newer models or cars are being built without radios?  Just docks for your phone and mp3 jacks!

If you have any suggestions, I'm open.  But for now, these are just a few things I'm trying to mull over before I shut this all down and make an after school snack.

No comments:

Post a Comment