Monday, August 29, 2011

Friend Request?

In earlier blogs, I have shared about many of my failures in friendship.  My years of mistakes have taught me valuable lessons--one of which is that time is required to nurture a relationship.  Does my present limitations of time mean that I should avoid forming new friendships?

A number of months ago, I met a family that really inspired me.  I've had a number of occasions since then where our paths have intersected.  The wife absolutely intrigues me.  She is very soft spoken, but a powerhouse of a woman.  She's a business owner, home school teacher to her 4 children, baker, builder, seamstress and decorator.  She's one of those woman who seem to possess every skill set that I've ever desired to have.  There is no doubt that there is so much I could learn from her.  But is that a selfish reason to want to be friends?

I guess I have to analyze what I have to bring to the friendship table:

1.  I will listen.  Other's concerns and feelings matter to me.  I always try to listen to someone's heart with my own heart. 

2.  I am teachable.  I do want to learn from others.  I want to hear what they have to say and sort through the wisdom they offer.

3.  I am tender.  I'm quick to offer compassion, but also have a tendency to be quickly broken.

4.  I'm a firm believer in prayer.  I will pray for others and that the Lord will act in their lives.  Depending on your personal belief system, this may or may not be a plus.

5.  I'm a get-it-done girl.  You need to take out your kitchen cabinets?  Call me!

6.  I'm a planner.  You want to get married in three weeks?  No problem.  We can pull off a great wedding--cake and all!

7.  I'm a plate spinner.  I can tackle many problems at once. 

Or can I?  The answer is really yes, and no.  When I'm in the "zone", I'm great.  However, when one plate falls down, I often loose balance and have the rest come crashing down around me.  And so I go back to my original question of if it's wisdom to add another friend to my circus (assuming she wants to be friends with me).  I never want anyone to feel like they are spinning dangerously through my life.  I want them to feel valued and important. 

So, what do you think--do I "submit" a friend request or not?

1 comment:

  1. Of course :) If you feel the tug on your heart that God is calling you into this friendship, take it up. She could be the answer to a prayer or vise versa.

    Just take care that you don't present yourself as "busy" because it will tell her you don't "really" have the time for her.

    ReplyDelete