Thursday, September 1, 2011

Needing to say NO

As many families can relate, we have a jam packed weekly schedule and time seems to always be flying by.  We gather with extended family several times a week for a meal.  Overall, it's been a blessing and has allowed my children to develop a much tighter relationship with their aunts, uncles and grandparents than I ever had with mine.  But, that also mean that two dinners and a lunch each week are spent at another home, or preparing to have others over to ours.  Add church, band, and sports into the mix, and it's easy to get caught up in a whirlwind of activities without any real rest.

This week, I've had to say no.  I couldn't do family dinner last night after the dentist.  And Friday, we aren't going to get together with our church group.  I need a little down time.

But then came the feelings of guilt.  I worried that I didn't have a good enough reason to bow out. 
The real truth of the matter is that I'm a chronic people pleaser.  I worry about upsetting others, or making waves.  I have a not-so-secret paranoia that my decisions will somehow anger those around me.

While this isn't really a new revelation to me, it was somewhat astonishing that after relating my feelings of worry and doubt to my husband last night, I made a decision to say no to something else: guilt.  And, much to my surprise, I haven't picked my personal guilt trip back up again. 

So, feeling empowered by the word "No" this week, I march on.  While there is still plenty to get done, I am relieved that there are at least two less items that I had to balance in my schedule this week.  And now, I'm off to pick up the girls.  I have a funny feeling that I'm about to get some more practice with the word of the week! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment