Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Tuesday: Trash Day

Getting back to work after a long holiday weekend proved to be extra challenging today.  I wasn't feeling quite right.  It may have been the negative anticipation of my annual exam (ladies--you know what I mean), or the fact that a little bug is working its way through my system.  It also may be due to my motherly concern with a weepy 10 year old who is struggling in an area that I'm powerless to help in.

But, whatever the cause for my off day, there was a slight relief from my mental fog when I rounded the corner and found the trash bin had been emptied.  It is, after all, trash day.

There is something refreshing about the fact that our trash will be hauled away on a weekly basis.  I get a similar feeling from dumping the recycling bin (literal or electronic) or when dropping off a load of "stuff" at Goodwill, or other donation centers.  It's the lightening of a load--a removal of excess in my life--that brings a touch of serenity to my heart.

I am constantly amazed at how much clutter I have.  It's not the nick-knacks and mantle pieces you may envision, but the extra baggage that I heap on myself with stress, worry, anticipation and expectations. I long for my mind to grow still and steady, taking the good with the bad, letting the bondage of fear be taken away by the Sanitation Department.

While I salute the hard working employees at this city's Solid Waste Department, I would like to gather contact information for the Non-Tangible Waste Department.  I have a lot of life debris that I'd like to schedule for removal.  But, that job may need to be referred to the Spiritual Dermatologist, as the growth may need to be surgically removed.

Come to think of it, I have the card of someone who can do the job completely.  He's available 24 hours and doesn't charge extra for weekends or holidays.  His rates blow away the competition.  In fact, the last time I used His services He told me the bill had already been paid in full!  I don't know why I forget to call on Him every time I have a problem!  I guess the obvious slips my mind in the midst of my mental mess.

He definitely loves referrals, so if you are interested, just let me know.  I'll make sure to put you in touch with Him.  And now that I'm thinking about it, you'll need to excuse me, as I have a call to make.

"Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." Matthew 11:27-30

No comments:

Post a Comment