Thursday, May 26, 2011

My thoughts on Oprah's thoughts

I’m not a huge Oprah fan, though I have watched many a show over the years. I have succumbed to several well placed show “teases” and spent an hour with several million others watching humanity played out on the small screen.

I felt it was important for me to watch the final episode of the Oprah show.  I wanted to see what she had to say after 25 years of impacting our culture.  I ran on the treadmill as I watched her bid America (and her global audience) farewell. 

While my emotional response may have been due in part to an elevated heart rate, I couldn’t help but shed a tear or two as I imagined what it would be like to walk in her shoes.  Unlike retiring from a “regular” job after 25 years, this final day didn’t include a “Good Luck” cake and a pat on the back from co-workers.  Instead, Oprah delivered a 50 minute (roughly) monologue to express her gratitude to her fans, and to challenge them to live life full of passion and energy.

As a small time radio host, I would be lying if I pretended that I wasn’t in awe with the power and influence this woman possesses.  Her rise to super-stardom and the way she can shift public opinion is something that most hosts would envy.  While I don’t ever want to be hounded by the paparazzi, it must be a good feeling to know that your words hold weight, and are of profound importance to so many.  I’m sure I wouldn’t mind her pay check either!

But, all kidding aside, I was disturbed by some of Oprah’s closing comments.  While she did credit God and Jesus for bringing her from a very humble origin to the place she is today, her speech was also intertwined with generic spiritualism.  She described everything on earth as holding a “life energy” and encouraged everyone to listen to the “whispers” that they hear.  Because she acknowledges the omniscience of God and references “amazing grace,” it would be easy to believe that what she practices (and preaches) is Biblical Christianity.  But scripture is clear: “Jesus said to him, ‘I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.’” John 14:6

Oprah is so right when she talks about every human being’s need to feel validated and accepted.  But, how we choose to meet this need is where I differ greatly from the opinions of Ms. Winfrey.  I can’t simply pull positive energy from those around me, or will enough positivity out of myself to meet my needs.  While I wish we all had Oprah’s spirit of generosity and compassion, I know that my value can’t be found in what I give away.

A positive self-image and having others affirm my worth, are only temporary patches to an eternally cancerous problem.  It is in the recognition of our unworthiness that we can begin the process of permanent healing.  To admit that we are sinners seems so “last century”, but the simple truth is: we are all guilty of sin, we all deserve to be punished, but we all can be redeemed through the sacrifice Jesus made on the cross.  It IS amazing grace that has set us free! 

In your times of quiet reflection, it is possible to hear a still small voice.  But, if you are not grounded in the Word (the Bible) it is anyone’s guess as to whose voice you are hearing.  Our minds are deceitful and we have a real enemy (Satan) who wishes to distract us away from the Truth.

As Oprah leaves the afternoon television line-up, may I suggest a simple alternative that will meet the needs that she sought to fill?  Learn the truth about who you are in the eyes of God.  Read His words, and begin to grasp the depth of His love for you.  “For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten son, that whoever believes in Him will not perish, but have everlasting life.” John 3:16 

Oprah may be thankful for you, but God gave His all for you.  And His goodness, grace, and love will never retire!

No comments:

Post a Comment