Saturday, May 21, 2011

Overflowing

I am not naturally a joyful person.  I have at times been around those that seem to have happiness oozing out of them.  In my cynicism, I wonder if it's a front--masking pain with a costume of smiles. 

My life has been full of blessings, and I recognize and thank the Lord for them.  However, the reality of life is that there are many days that are difficult to navigate.  The challenges of parenting sometimes get the best of me, and planning for the future can be a daunting task. 

A few years back, I was reading my Bible and came across a verse that made me stop in my tracks.  It's Romans 15:13. May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.

That verse challenged me in a big way!  Not only is God a God of hope, but he can fill me with joy and peace (as I trust in Him).  But it is the next phrase that I have a desperate longing to experience: overflowing with hope!

I can't begin to imagine what that would look like in my life.  When the kids fight, when illness hits, when the money's tight--overflowing with hope.  When death takes a loved one, when crime affects us, when unemployment strikes--overflowing with hope.  When dinner's not ready, when the car accident comes, when I've been demeaned--overflowing with hope.  I have to question if that attitude is really possible. But, in my heart of hearts I know the answer: yes (by the power of the Holy Spirit).

It is an ongoing challenge in my life, heart, and mind to line up my thinking with the truth I read in scripture.  But today, I choose to turn Romans 15:13 into a prayer and trust that the Lord will continue to mold me.

Father, you are the God of hope.  I pray that you will fill me with joy and peace as I trust in you, and that you would reveal to my heart how I can experience the overflowing of hope, through the power of your Holy Spirit.  Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Beautifully written, (and I must admit, I think the same thing when I see bubbling happy people) A good reminder on a very taxing and hard day to see joy in. :)

    ReplyDelete