Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Summertime fun??

A few days back, I stood at the door of the classroom listening to a mom celebrating the fact that school was almost over for the year.  She had been eagerly anticipating this day for weeks.  I felt like a big jerk, and held my tongue from saying what I really felt: "What's to love about summer?  I love it when the kids are in school!"

In all fairness, I can't begrudge the kids that incredible feeling of knowing you have been set free from the oppression of long school days and hours of homework.  However, from my perspective, I have a hard time getting anything done when they are on summer break.  All the errands, appointments and home projects that usually get done without their notice, now involves them tagging along accompanied by a chorus of whines.  Case and point, between the last sentence and this one, I've had to break up multiple fights, try and get permanent marker off my sister-in-law's table, ground my children from TV indefinitely, and pack up a tent.

The sad reality is, that my children don't know how to "be".  This modern world (and yes, I think a bombardment of technology is partly to blame) inundates us with sights and sounds so frequently, that when the gadgets are turned off, they don't know what to do.  But, much of the blame lies with me, as I often look to unwind at the end of the day (or in the middle of the day) by turning on the TV or checking Facebook.  I've not set the best of examples.

This last weekend, we did do lots of activities together.  We went bowling and bike riding.  We took walks and baked.  Now today, as I try and get one entry completed, the fighting begins and the glazed look of boredom washes over their faces.

Do you remember being bored as a kid?  If you actually admitted it to your parents, you very likely were given a list of chores to do.   So, in honor of times gone by, that's exactly what I did!  My children have now cleaned the bathroom, dining room, living room and playroom.  Their rooms are clean and they are quietly (for the first time today) writing lines, including the passage from 1 Corinthians 13 about what love is.  Love is patient, love is kind, it does not envy, etc. . .
Once they finish the current assignment (depending on how close it is to bedtime) they may also be writing the passage: do all things without grumbling and complaining. 

While I acknowledge that I may sound a bit hypocritical, my goal is not to launch a blog full of complaints.  Rather, I want to vent into cyberspace and make sure that my reaction to my children, and their bad choices today, doesn't come from a place of anger.  Just as the Lord continues to work on my character through the trials He has given, He is also working in the hearts and minds of my girls.  Lord, help us all to not grow weary as you mold us into your image!

No comments:

Post a Comment